Art and Activism
Art and Activism
↑ Artist Robbie Lee Harris in front of a work he created as part of a collaborative Black Lives Matter mural project in Tucson. Joe Pagac secured the wall space and bought the paint for the project.
Photo: Josh Galemore / Arizona Daily Star
In the midst of turmoil, art has the power to highlight injustice, bring a community's pain into focus, heal, and prompt the dialogue necessary for change. These initiatives show creative expression at work in building a more equitable society.
Last updated July 30, 2020. Please check back, as we will continue to update this page.
- Virtual Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: Black Artists Matter with the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 10 a.m. ET
- Activist embroidery work by Nneka Jones
- "An ongoing list of artists selling their work to raise money right now" on Dazed
- Black Art in the Era of Protest: A Virtual Conversation
- Black Craftspeople Digital Archive (under development)
- The Fasion and Race Database
- Hand-tufted fiber portraits by Simone Saunders
- Incomplete portraits by Adrian Brandon
- The Minnesota Pins
- Jamilla Okubo maker feature by Now This
- A Prayer for the Runner, a live performance by Patrisse Cullors, a founder of Black Lives Matter, at the Fowler Museum
- Prints by 80 artists and photographers to raise funds to support Black Lives Matter, featured in Creative Boom
- The Protest Mask Project by Makwa Studio
- The Provocateurs: A Master Series by Black Lives Matters Arts+Culture
- We Are the Story – Women of Color Quilters Network and Textile Center
- Where are the Black Designers – Official Webinar
Projects organized alphabetically by title.
Happening in the Twin Cities
- "Mural raises concerns about representation in art responding to George Floyd's killing" in the Star Tribune, July 8, 2020
- "George Floyd Murals Paint Uptown With Awareness and Hope" in Mpls St Paul, June 9, 2020
- "George Floyd murals, graffiti on boarded-up Twin Cities businesses spread a message of pain — and hope" in StarTribune, June 8, 2020
- "Street art honored George Floyd. Now advocates want to preserve it for history" in Twin Cities Pioneer Press, June 7, 2020
- "The Story Behind The Mural At The George Floyd Memorial," in Forbes, June 4, 2020
- "Twin Cities artists honor George Floyd" on KARE11, June 3, 2020
- "Artists Create a Mural Honoring George Floyd at the Site of His Murder" in Hyperallergic, May 29, 2020
News from across the nation
- "Murals honor George Floyd and Black Lives Matter movement" in USA Today, June 12, 2020
- "Across L.A., George Floyd street art sprouts as symbols of injustice and police brutality" in Los Angeles Times, June 10, 2020
- "Athens artists spread awareness for the Black Lives Matter movement" in The Red & Black, June 10, 2020
- "Yourban2030 Enlists More than 90 Artists to Support the Black Lives Matter Movement" in Harper's Bazaar, June 9, 2020
- "The Secret Project That Led to Black Lives Matter Murals Coast to Coast" in The New Yorker, June 9, 2020
- "After unrest, Black Lives Matter protest murals emerge in Oakland" in Mercury News, June 9, 2020
- "Black Lives Matter mural covers uptown Charlotte street" in Q City Metro, June 9, 2020
- "Photos: Madison body paint artist uses Black Lives Matter activists as human canvas" in Wisconsin State Journal, June 8, 2020
- "D.C.’s ‘Black Lives Matter’ street art inspires similar giant slogans in cities nationwide" in Boston Globe, June 8, 2020
- "Artists and Galleries Are Selling Works to Support the Black Lives Matter Movement. Here Are 14 Fundraisers Happening Now" on artnet, June 8, 2020
- "Kalamazoo businesses turn plywood boards into art in support of Black Lives Matter" on MLive, June 8, 2020
- "Banksy shares new artwork supporting Black Lives Matter and says it's on white people to fix systemic racism" on CNN, June 7, 2020
- "Paint Fades, but Murals Remember People Killed by Police" in The New York Times, June 5, 2020
- "Black Lives Matter mural project launches in Tucson amid protests, unrest" in Arizona Daily Star, June 5, 2020
- "Artists, Curators, and Dealers Launch Initiatives to Support Black Lives Matter Movement" on ARTnews, June 3, 2020
- "Graphic designers share illustrations and resources in support of Black Lives Matter" in dezeen, June 3, 2020
- "The People Behind the Black Lives Matter Art Being Shared on Instagram" in Allure, June 2,2020
- "George Floyd murals are popping up all over the world" on CNN, June 6, 2020
- "Murals of George Floyd emerge around the world" on CNBC, June 5, 2020
- "From Minneapolis to Syria, Artists Are Honoring George Floyd Through Murals and Public Artworks" on Colossal, June 2, 2020
News articles organized chronologically by date published.
How is art being used for activism in your community?
We would love to learn about additional projects happening around the country. Please send information to [email protected].