American Craft Forums
American Craft Forums
Come be part of the conversation around craft.
Our free, quarterly American Craft Forums bring our community together to explore new ways of thinking about craft. Tying into the themes of each issue of American Craft, these online discussions feature artists, writers, curators, community organizers, and more—diverse voices working together to move the craft field forward. Join us to gain fresh perspectives from inspiring people and their important projects.
What comes to mind when you think of New Orleans? Mardi Gras? Bourbon Street and the French Quarter? The birthplace of jazz? The Garden District and stunning architecture? Hurricanes and rising water levels? All of the above?
A vibrant and complex city, New Orleans, Louisiana, is abundant in creativity. There’s an energy to the city like few other places in the country. The art—the craft—seems to burst forth from gallery and museum walls to strut its stuff in the streets. As New Orleans native Charles DuVernay puts it, “It comes to life.” There’s a flamboyance, freedom, passion, and verve embodied by the artists who call this place home.
Our Winter 2024 Forum is inspired by the latest installment of The Scene in the Winter 2024 issue of American Craft. We invite you to join ceramist and educator MaPó Kinnord, Mardi Gras suit maker and visual artist Charles DuVernay, installation artist and printmaker Pippin Frisbie-Calder, and master plasterer Jeff Poree for a broad conversation around the multifaceted arts community in New Orleans, exploring what it's like to live and practice there, and reflecting on the joys and hardships intrinsic to a city with so much individuality, culture, and history.
Watch Recordings of Past Forums
- Fall 2023 | The Violinmaker & The Virtuoso: Craft from the Workshop to the Concert Hall
- Summer 2023 | Foragers: Making Connections Between Places and Materials
- Spring 2023 | Woven Through Water: How Boatbuilding Connects Communities and Cultures
- Winter 2023 | Houses Into Homes: How Craft Makes a Difference
- Summer 2022 | Shaping Glass, Shaping Culture: A Conversation With Preston Singletary and Leo Tecosky
- Spring 2022 | MOSAIC: Where Craft and Fashion Meet
- Winter 2022 | Craft Writing Now: Meet the Winners of the Lois Moran Award for Craft Writing
- Fall 2021 | The Secret to Collaboration With Omar Tate and Gregg Moore
- Summer 2021 | Object Stories From the Craftscape
- Spring 2021 | Forward Motion: How Craft Can Help Us Move From a Crisis of Care to a Culture of Care
- May/June 2020 | Craft Thinking
- April 2020 | Innovation in the Face of Adversity
Help make our forums possible as a member.
Join the American Craft Council to receive a subscription to our magazine and help support a range of nonprofit programs that strengthen our community and connect people to craft.
Thank you to our sponsors